Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spicy Mexican Skillet Chicken

So, Jason is constantly complaining that I don't make enough of his precious beans and rice.  A meal substitute that he believes he could happily live off of for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I, on the other hand, don't really care for beans.  Which is something that has not gone unquestioned in Jason's mind "what was I thinking...".  However, being the awesome wife that I am, something else that hasn't gone unquestioned..., I try to make at least one Hispanic meal a week to appease my love's ferocious appetite for everything spicy.  I have to say, my daughters also share his love.  I am outnumbered.
This is one of his favorites.  What he doesn't know, is that it is good for him and I thoroughly enjoy it as well.  It is easy, cheap and is versatile.  Jason likes to eat it in a bowl mixed together.  I like it wrapped in a whole grain flour tortilla with lite sour cream and shredded cheese.  Bonus, the girls eat it without a fuss.  That's worth it's weight in gold.  Enjoy.

Ingredients:

1 to 2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
1 tbsp canola oil
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can of Mexican corn
1/2 cup salsa
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1/2 onion

Optional:  Serve with Zatarin's Spanich Rice (the best boxed rice I can find!), shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortillas.

Step 1:  Cut the chicken into small cubes or slices.  Mix with the chili powder, salt and pepper until evenly coated.

Step 2: Heat oil in skillet on medium/high heat.  Add seasoned chicken.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.  Approximately 8-10 minutes.

Step 3:  Add beans, corn, bell peppers, and onion.  Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until veggies are cooked through.

Step 4:  Add salsa.  Heat through.  Serve.

End result, kids who find it hilarious that their daddy is wearing a pink bib and a wife with a happy content husband.





No comments:

Post a Comment