Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

I Have Yummy Hooters...

Well now that I have your attention...

I wanted to share a pinterest find that I have modified to make it Angie awesome.  Simple Oreo owl cupcakes.  For anyone who has been a part of my life these last four pre and post crazy prego years knows that I absolutely crave Oreos (and bacon but that does not apply here, unfortunately).  Like life or death, must have now type of thing.  So, when I came across this idea to incorporate my love of Oreos, with my love of owls, with my love of cupcakes... I was ecstatic.

Here they are... Aren't my little bakers and the cupcakes adorable?

Ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix (and all the ingredients called for on the box)
2 packages of Oreo cookies
1 container of chocolate frosting
small bag of Reese's Pieces
cup cake liners

Directions:

As the adorable Adelyn is modeling here, we have separated the Oreos into two separate parts.  One still attached to the incredible frosting goodness and one just boring old chocolate.  Place the frosting side of the Oreo, frosting side up in the bottom of the liner (I used orange Halloween Oreo's here because orange rocks and makes me happy but not necessary.  The plain old guys will work).



Mix the ingredients together according to your cake box instructions.  Take the leftover Oreo pieces and crush them in a food processor to a crumb like state.  Mix them in with the cake batter.
Pour the batter over the frosting Oreo pieces in the liners and bake the cupcakes according to your box instructions.




Let your naughty one year old eat some while you aren't looking... It's her cuteness that keeps her alive...

Once the cupcakes are cooled,  frost them as normal but try to create two little points at the top.  Take two frosted Oreo sides and place them on for the eyes.  Stick brown Reese's on top of the cookies for the pupils.  Stick an orange one side ways for the nose.  Simple but ridiculously adorable and tasty!



And a whole parliament (I learned today that a group of owls is called a parliament.  A flock is a generalized grouping.  Surprised you didn't know that...)



Just a quick tip, do not add the Oreo eyes or the candy noses until you are ready to serve.  The moisture from the frosting will eventually seep into cookies and make them mushy :(  Always store cupcakes in an airtight container with a bread heal.  The bread will become hard as a rock but your cakes will remain moist!  The more you know! (you know the song.)

2 comments: