Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Small Little Baby Shower...

This year my aunt asked me to organize a little baby shower for my cousin's wife who is due in February. They live in Texas so we don't get to see them very often. She felt that Thanksgiving, when the whole family would already be together and my cousin would be in town, would be the perfect time and venue. There were some challenges though. She requested games (but not too gamey), something crafty (but not too crafty) and small (but not too small) since they were flying back and wouldn't be able to take much. Hmmm... games but no games, crafts but no crafts and small but not small. Ummm... no problem? So, I brainstormed, researched, and reached deep down for some creative juices and this is what I came up with.

For the not crafty, which I had a hard time relating to, I did two things. Which I think they were positively accepted!

First, we did a family tree. I had seen some ideas for this on pinterest but only for weddings. So I decided to tweak it a little. I sketched a bare tree using pen and ink and in my most nervous cursive, wrote "Our Family" underneath it. I sketched a little nest in the tree and used a blue sharpie to make an egg. I wanted them to add more "eggs" as their family grew. I framed it and had it sitting on the table when everyone came in. I had two shades of green ink pads and everyone placed their fingerprint on a branch (the leaves) and I wrote their initials underneath. I had the mommy and daddy do theirs near the nest in yellow and I made them the birdies. Not too crafty right?  All it required was a finger.  I thought it turned out very cute and I am excited to do it for myself :)



The other "crafty" thing we did was I set out colored index cards and fine point sharpies.  Everyone was asked to share their best motherly advice.  I then glued them on corresponding cards, hole punched and attached them all together on a utility ring.  Crafty?  For me.  No one else :)

Lastly, the game I chose was one my inlaws organized for me for one of my showers and I loved it.  I got my list from http://baby-shower.yeahbaby.com/game.php?page=candy-bar-baby-shower-game.  I made a poster board with post it notes.  On the note I wrote a phrase like "Hospital Bill"  and underneath I wrote the corresponding candy.  In this case "100 Grand".  When someone correctly guessed they got that candy.  I removed the post it note so we could remember which ones we had done.  A game, yes.  But it didn't require anyone to do anything silly and you won candy.  CANDY. 

Overall, I was excited with my little shower ideas and I think the surprise was a blessing to my cousin and his wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment