Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Have Wild Things





I know this isn't the best picture but it was the best my slow camera phone could do to capture what would become an epic tantrum.  Today was trying, at best.  My little sweet baby girl Adelyn has grown into a big sweet, independent wild child who let's me know what she wants. Whether I want to know or not.  Let's back track a bit.

The morning started off with stinky butt in my bed (a big no no for me) because of an epic meltdown last night.  From the moment she opened her eyes I could tell what kind of day it was going to be.  She started jumping on me at 5:45 to "GIVE ME NUMMIES NOW MOM."  I sweetly responded, "Let's ask nicely and Mommy's getting up."  I patiently held her on the way upstairs as she was screaming at the top of her lungs, "BABY, WAKE UP!  HOLD ME RIGHT!  LIKE A BIG GIRL MOMMY!"  Even after she woke up her sister, I remained calm and collected.  Even right up to the morning breakfast battle of, "I DON'T LIKE THAT MOMMY!  GET ME SOMETHING, SOMETHING ELSE," I held it together.  Until the yogurt flinging.  She was frustrated because that wasn't what she wanted.  So the natural thing to do was to fling it across the room screaming.  I calmly handed her a muffin as I tried to wipe the yogurt mess out of my hair and off the floor and walls.  She proceeded to bawl her eyes out and rip it into a million pieces that met the same fate as the yogurt.  Next thought that raced through my head was, "Whose kid is this?"  I was not amused but the dogs were.  After a half an hour battle and probably nothing really ingested I gave up and forced the screaming wild thing down from her booster.

She then ran in the other room and hit her sister with a My Little Pony (like that was a perfectly natural thing to do with a pony) and when her sister was upset and I asked her to say sorry she ran up and pummeled her for round two.  Poor Marcella.  Always gets the brunt of her sisters untameable energy surges.  She spent the next hour causing mayhem.  Wipees flung everywhere, throwing books at anything that moved.  The more I tried to divert her attention, the more alluring the naughtiness seemed. That child spent more time in time out this morning with no avail.  I thought about taking her beloved storytime away but let's be honest, I needed it more than her.

We finally got out of the house with minimal damage and bruising.  When we arrived at the library, my other struggling with a two year old weary mom, handed me a glorious latte.  Not that I wasn't grateful but I was kind of hoping it came as an IV drip. Playtime was no better.  Screaming, kicking and not sharing... awesome.  I especially liked the point where she hit me repeatedly in the face in exorcism fashion in front of the other moms.  They were all thinking one of two things, I am sure of it.  1. I'm so glad that's her today and not me. or 2. Wow, why can't this mom get her brat under control.  I know, because I was thinking both as well.  We left in a hurry to take the girls to the mall for lunch and playtime.  I was still optimistic at this point that lunch could fix all of this.  Maybe she was just crabby from being hungry?  Wrong.

Now, I will give her a little credit.  She did eat fairly well.  For those of you who know Adelyn, you know that eating too little is never an issue and did temporarily seem to help her mood.  However, it was short lived.  For as soon as we got to the play area the meltdown began.  She had decided that the only thing that would bring her happiness would be to be naked.  Right there in the mall, naked.  She started stripping down and that is where this picture takes us.  The moment right before we both had had enough.  And home and straight to nap time is where she went.  And that is where she is currently screaming and yelling for her savior, Daddy.

As I write this I keep thinking of a book my mom used to read me quite often (for I hear I was quite as "spirited").  Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst.


This is just a day, a season at best.  And I know when she is older and I am alone more often than not, I'm going to miss this. I'm even going to laugh about it. But for today... I'm just going to pray... ALOT...  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment