Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Unplugged...

I have been doing a little soul searching lately...  I have been feeling overwhelmed, stressed, tired and just plain burnt out.  However, if you asked me about what though, I don't think I could tell you.  Maybe I would have said, life.  Being a wife, a mother, a maid, a nurse, a teacher, a daycare center, a spiritual leader, a vet, a made to order cook, a financial adviser and real estate agent can be exhausting on just four hours of sleep.  But I really don't think that's what it is.  I think those are the easy answers.  The real reason is one I have felt on my heart for a while but have been too intimidated about the response and scrutiny of friends and family that read this blog to post the real reason.  I have misplaced my priorities. Let's be honest, beliefs and religion are not always a safe zone topic.  But I am investing my time and energy into fleshy, worldly pastimes and concerns instead of focusing on what should be the precedence of my day; the Lord. 

I have come to a very simple Biblical conclusion that I have been clouding with justification from a individualistic propelling society; not what am I doing for me, but what am I doing for God.  I realized that everything that I do should be glorifying God and if it's not then it's a waste of time.  And WOW, I am doing a lot that does not, including this blog.  I am trying to run my life on my steam, not His.  No wonder I keep coming up short.  I know this is hard for some of you to believe, but I'm not wonder woman :)  I like to think I can do it all, be level headed and run my day to day life in a compartmentalized fashion.  Kid stuff here, house stuff here, friends here, church family here and so on and so forth.  What would it look like if I included Him in all these areas, including this blog.  Yeah, I might ruffle some feathers, make some feel uncomfortable but I truly believe if I start living my life this way I will be blessed.

Just typing this, I already feel a weight lifted.  What if my day wasn't about what I could get done but for Who I could glorify with my actions.  What if I started to scrub the toilet to... glorify Him, changed diapers to glorify Him, made dinner that two screaming children didn't appreciate to glorify Him?  What if I actually prayed for strength to mention Him to someone I know could use His strength but would not necessarily welcome the conversation with open arms?  What if I spent the time I use to relax searching facebook and pinterest and rested in His word?  What would it look like if I really celebrated a true Sabbath, unplugged and tuned in to Him?  There is a lot of rest in those questions.

I have found my answer and my solace all in one wonderful bundle.  A trusting, rest and peace in a God that provides all of the above.  Am I intimidated about the world's response to this, what seems like an archaic and no longer a social norm... yes.  But I believe in something bigger than Twitter and Blackberry.  And whatsoever you do, do it heartily unto the Lord and not unto men.  Col. 3:23  My new mantra...

1 comment:

  1. What a refreshing and very nice post. You have a lot of strength to post this and I wish I had the same... although I agree with everything you said. I feel very much the same. God is great. As I reflect on my day - I went to church with my son and was praying for patients most of the time... instead I should have been praying for help to stand up and live my life more for Him. I love your new mantra. Im with ya - I believe in more than Twitter and facebook!!

    ReplyDelete