Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

DIY Photo Magnets


I purposely took a quick picture of my old ones so you could see how well they held up to the abusive play of a one year old over the past year. Very easy and inexpensive to make! The only thing you technically need to purchase is magnet sticker paper and clear contact paper (optional). I have researched this to death and the best deal I can find is on Oriental Trading. They have 12 sheets for $10 and you can make that stretch a long way. I'm still using the pack I bought last year!



Here is the link to their site for the 12 Awesome Adhesive Magnetic Sheets.

I printed these pictures off on my home printer and made them different sizes. However, you also have the option of just using already printed pictures. I use Walgreens' coupons constantly for quick and easy pics.

This step is not necessary but if you want these to be extra tough to withstand kid play, I cover the picture first with clear contact paper. I leave a little excess on the sides to fold onto the back.

Then, all you have to do is peal back the paper backing on the magnet sheet and place the picture directly on the sticky side of the magnet. Don't worry about making it perfect because you are going to trim around it. So, no need for annoying measuring.

Once you have the picture secure, press down to seal it permanently. Voila! For under $.25 a piece you have custom made magnets to enjoy. To have them custom made they can start at $4.00 a piece!

3 comments:

  1. I happened to click on your blog from Facebook and I started reading your past blogs - they are great by the way... easy to read and relate to, and I love the food ideas!

    I just had to comment about this one though. I just recently did this with my 'Mommy & Me' friends. But my friend had been collecting advertisement magnets - like pizza magnets and doctors offices sometimes have them. And we cut out photos and put them ontop of those magnets - no need to buy the magnet sheets! Just an idea for you when you run out of the magnet sheets.

    Keep blogging - its great reading!
    ~Katie Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip and I am glad you are enjoying the blog! Just out of curiosity, what did you guys use to adhere the pictures to the magnets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used tacky glue... but I love your idea of contact paper. We also put foam stickers on them, but if you want to have the magnets for the little ones to play with, the foam stickers would likely be picked off.

    ReplyDelete