Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Mean Green


So my dad and I had a little weekend splurge...  I have talked about it, thought about it, and debated.  Now it was time to act on it.  A friend of mine has been buzzing in my ear about the benefits of juicing.  I thought, "That's nice...for hippies and workout nuts."  However, I'm tired.  All the time.  Granted I don't get more than a two hour stretch a night due to my precious little ones desperately craving my awesome attention.  But we are going on three years of this now and it's starting to show in my appearance and demeanor.  Since I can't really change the sleep situation I thought it's time to take charge of something I can control.  So, I have decided to try my hand at this crazy, efficient, plethora of micro nutrients to mouth train, called juicing.

My friend pointed me in the direction of a documentary called, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead," by Joe Cross.  It was actually pretty interesting, entertaining and common sense.  We as a country are fat, um yup.  We as a country eat too many processed foods and not enough of God's given goodness, um...yup. But here is the one that got me, the people he interviewed across the country actually liked this green stuff.  It looked absolutely disgusting and to be honest I thought this is one of those things I'm going to waste money on trying and never form a habit.  But after watching the movie a second time with my dad, who has also been yearning for a healthier lifestyle and way to control his cholesterol without medication , we decided to invest in a juicer. 

We got this one at Costco for $90.  Now my friend informed me that the Omega is better (but pricier) and we thought for beginners this will have to do.  It came with a great recipe book!  The movie suggested fasting but since I am an exclusively nursing mommy that isn't an option. We started Saturday night and decided our goal was going to be to replace breakfast and lunch with "the juice."  This concoction I made in the picture was the Mean Green recipe from the movie.  It contained kale, cucumber, celery, apple, lemon and ginger.  Sound disgusting?  Well, it really wasn't.  I am not a big fan of ginger and it was definitely something I learned I will leave out in the future but overall it was surprisingly good.  I was floored how many veggies and fruits it took to make two glasses and it dawned on me.  I just consumed more good for me stuff in one drink than I have realistically ingested in the last month combined! 

The next couple drinks I added a little more fruit but still jammed packed with veggies and I am now convinced that this is definitely worth the life style change.  I am excited to see if it makes any real difference in how I feel but even if it doesn't it has motivated me to get my body moving and take care of the temple that God has placed me in :)

Here's to nothing.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Ang, this is such a cute blog...love looking at your updates. By the way, I think juicing is awesome, but it is time consuming cuz the prep and clean-up. Try and go organic when you can. Carrot and green apple is super yummy!!

    love ya!
    Odi

    ReplyDelete