Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Homemade Halloween Costume ideas

I have a slight confession to make. I am semi-obsessed with anything fall. Pumpkins, leaves, the colors, the weather, activities and the costumes. It is the only time of year that I don't mind when they put the decorations out three months before! Now that I have little ones the obsession is growing at an exponential rate. It's bordering out of control :) There are too many fantastic DIY ideas and just not enough time to do them. I hope to be able to complete and post a ton in the next few months!

Today, I decided to start the process of costume ideas. Now I know it is only August but there are two reasons I start early.

1. Money. If I start collecting materials a little at a time and really think the costume through I can usually pull them off very cheaply. I search for coupons for all my supplies and since I have had plenty of time to prepare there are no last minute splurges because I procrastinated. If there is something I need that is expensive, with a little thoughts and ingenuity, I can usually come up with a comparable cheaper solution.

2. Homemade. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing technically wrong with store bought costumes and I'm not here to judge. But I have always found the thought out, creative, DIY ones are by far the best and usually don't break the bank. Your kids can help, give input and the process is usually just as fun as showing off the outcome.

I like to look at different DIY homemade costume sites for ideas to get me started. I found this one last year and it was the only site I needed! I spent hours looking through this costume contest photo gallery! There aren't step by step instructions but you definitely get your creative juices flowing!


www.parenting.com/article/homemade-halloween-costume-contest-galleries



This was Adelyn's costume I made last year. Not a lot of sewing because I really don't know how to use a sewing machine. Took time but was not hard at all. I got a plethora of positive comments on this costume and she loved it. Didn't want to take it off and still wears it often for dress up.

I bought a white clearance hoodie sweatshirt from Old Navy (had an additional coupon) so it ended up only costing $2! I used RIT fabric dye to get it the color I wanted.
For the mane, I had a coupon for 40% off fleece at Hancock Fabric. I bought two yards of shades of brown, cut them into strips of 5inch by 2 yards and made 1 inch wide slits on both sides about 2 inches into the fabric. I stacked three strips together with a single stitch down the middle to hold them together. The time consuming part was hand sewing the strips onto the hood of her sweatshirt. Cut out some felt ears and hand stitched those on. It was by no means neat or perfect but the floppy fleece hid all my imperfections!

The tutu was just made out of 1in. by 24 in. strips of different shades of brown tulling knotted around a strip of elastic.

The tail I made out of the left over fleece that I had. I hand stitched it into a tube and stuffed the remaining fleece into it to make it firm. I sewed it directly onto the elastic band of her tutu. I used a brown washable magic marker to color her nose and whiskers. I paired it with brown leggings and boots she already had.

After I was all said and done, it only cost me $15! And because it was a hooded sweatshirt she was nice and warm on Halloween. I know I'm biased but she looked adorable.

I really enjoyed making this costume and am so excited about getting to make two this year! The juices are flowing and can't wait to show you my finished project!

No comments:

Post a Comment