Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It Occurred to Me Today


I had one of those cheesy, corny, mushy, 80's canned "ooh and ahh" moments today. I was walking our girls in the stroller, talking to my husband about the million things we had going on and the stresses of daily life when I looked down and saw this.

Sisters holding hands. Simple yet profound. Adelyn wasn't talking a mile a minute, Marcella wasn't screaming. Absolute silence. Just simply enjoying each others company without a care in the world. I wanted to cry. Jason looked at me like I was crazy and hesitantly asked me if I was pregnant. I guess the only time us women get emotional is if we are supernaturally hormonal... oh, Jason. {the answer was no by the way.) I thought, "They get it." How does life seem to muddle everything up and we lose sight of the precious gifts God has given us?

Time is getting tighter. I can only imagine that it is only gets tighter from here on out. What with Jason getting ready to go back to teaching next week, church and family outings on the weekends, Jason and I's commitment time to each other on Mondays, our Tuesday tradition of bringing dinner to Mama, Thursday's story and picnic time, the stressers of searching for a new home and wrestling season coming, I know it's going to get harder to stop and appreciate the daily blessings we are given. Now don't get me wrong, almost all the things I listed are fun and enjoyable things to do and I wouldn't trade any of it for a second. However, as I was taking our girls and dog on this new nightly after dinner tradition, it occurred to me. If I can hardly find time to stop and appreciate it now, how am I ever going to find time in the future to do it. Life only goes faster and will only get busier as my little ones grow.

This is going to be one of those mental photographs that will forever be etched in my memory. I pray that it pops up often and doesn't become buried underneath the ever-mounting information overload of everyday life. I've been praying and more actively watching for more moments like these. Not easy to do when you're wrist deep in baby blowout and your older one is trying to apply makeup on her baby sister's face with a plastic hard drum stick. But maybe that in itself is something I know I will miss when they finally leaves my nest. I am encouraged to slow down and find joy in the memory not the monetary.

No comments:

Post a Comment