Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Ode to Chango


This is my first born son, Chango. My husband and I's first real glimpse of the awesome responsibility of being the sole care giver to another living being. His name is a term of endearment, meaning "little monkey" in Spanish. That is exactly what he is, my little monkey.

I always wanted a dog. However, Jason made it very clear early on in our marriage that he definitely did not. Then life stepped in. Jason and I lost our first pregnancy to miscarriage and our little neat, organized and planned out life got turned upside down. For several weeks, even months following we struggled verbalizing and rationalizing the sickness of sorrow and loss that we felt. I was lucky to have the comfort of tearful conversations with friends. Jason, however, was a man and struggled with how to communicate his pain. That's when he surprised me with Chango. Not that he meant to replace what we had lost but he had found an outlet for his emotions. Another living thing that needed love and care almost as much as he needed something to give it to.

Since then this dog (or should I say 5th member of our family) has become an irreplaceable presence in our family. He taught me how selfish with my time I was and gave me insight on what it really took to be relied upon. He is a goofy guy (friends and family can attest to that) but he is stoic, in-tune, and comforting when you need him to be. He has become a best friend to my children. Selflessly patient and gentle when I myself probably could not. A picnic table for a princess.


He is often the first one overlooked when things get hectic and the last to demand attention. I am his world and asks for only a scratch on the belly in return. God uses many things to reach people. He constantly uses Chango for me. Slow down, appreciate the simple and love unconditionally.

Thank you Chango for being the best companion and son a mom could ask for :)

No comments:

Post a Comment